Monday, March 30, 2009

Cream of Wheat...twice

I forgot about my boiling milk this morning for my cream of wheat. So it smelled like a dairy barn in our kitchen as the milk was burning. Grreeeat!!!

We are going to BBQ tomorrow night on the concrete veranda so today we are getting supplies ready. A surgical resident from the U of Minnesota just arrived who is an Argentinian, Jose. He knows the way of crazy bbq so we'll leave it to him to get it done.

Mbutwy, the Masai former guard of the other house stopped by to see Eric this morning. He and his brother were trying to get the last month's pay from the landlord. They took time to see Eric because Mbutwy and Eric spent many hours talking in kiswahili while living at the other house. We took pictures together and arranged for a trip to see their family house nearby the Serengeti in a few weeks. Eric and I are excited since we will have the pictures developed and give them as gifts when we arrive. They both seemed very excited as we drank tea together and spoke broken swahili.

Work has been going well. Just finished a personnel database and will work on a few marketing flyers. Then I'm going to calculate a few costs once I have finished interviewing a few people in the wards. So this month will be very busy. The rains have started and we are seeing small showers here and there. Last night it rained quite hard. Enough to mudden the roads.

The rain and intense sun naturally cleanses the surroundings as well as releases some of the odors of things that the dust has trapped. I say "things" because you walk by and immediately wonder what is that smell!? Some good usually not and sometimes you wonder if anyone is going to move that dead animal.

Whatever the case, I've been truly appreciating the landscape and culture in which I live. I'm going mountain biking again sometime today or tomorrow and this time I'll bring a camera for proof. Muzungu kitchaa!!! (crazy white person) Naturally I say since we are riding for "fun" on intense footpaths a mountain biker would only dream of in the states. The paths are everywhere and you ride by cows, chickens, kids, mzee's and all flavors of small village life north of Arusha. Trying to pack in a few more adventures, take the day and throttle it as Eric would say.

Bye for now!

1 comment:

  1. I thought I should PROBABLY become an official follower now that you're halfway through:) Everyone loves reading the blog, Bry! LUMU, B and B

    ReplyDelete